Brass Monkeys Jewellery is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, or purchasing in store, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Brass Monkeys Jewellery may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes.
For legal purposes, Brass Monkeys Jewellery is known as the ‘data controller’.
What we collect
In the course of our business, which is the sale of jewellery in our shop and online, we collect the following personal data when you provide it to us:
- personal details, such as
- contact data, such as
- delivery address
- billing address
- e-mail address
- telephone and mobile number(s)
- payment card details
- transaction data, such as
- details about payments to and from you
- details of products you have purchased from us
- technical data, such as
- internet protocol (IP) address
- your login data, browser type and version
- time-zone setting and location
- browser plug-in types and versions
- operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access our website
- profile data, such as
- orders made by you
- usage data, such as
- information about how you use our website, products and services
- marketing data, such as
- your preferences in receiving marketing and communications.
Personal information means any information that may be used to identify an individual, including, but not limited to, a first and last name, email address, a home or postal address, telephone number and other information when needed to provide a service or product or carry out a transaction you have requested.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
This means what we do with the information we gather. We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service.
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- to allow you to register an account
- to perform a contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you
- if it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and these are not overridden by your own rights and interests
- where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
In order to process personal data, we must have a lawful reason (sometimes called a lawful basis). We always ensure that this is the case, and we set out our lawful bases below – but please note that more than one may apply at any given time: for example, if we inform you of changes to our privacy notice, we may process your personal data on the ground of complying with law and on the ground of legitimate interests.
We will use your personal data only for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we fairly consider that we need it for another reason that is compatible with the original purpose.
If you are our customer we will process your personal data for the following purposes, on the legal basis that it is necessary for us to provide our products and services to you:
- to enable us to carry out our services
- to identify you
- to respond to your inquiries
- to allow you to register an account
- to the extent necessary to provide you with information you have requested in relation to our products and services before you decide to purchase them
- to provide our products and services, including enabling them to be delivered to you and contacting you about your order (for example, regarding stock or availability)
- to carry out billing and administration activities, including refunds and credits
Of course, you are not obliged to provide us with any of this information, but if you chose not to, we may be unable to provide the product or service that you have requested.
We process your personal information for our legitimate business purposes, which include the following:
- to conduct and manage our business
- to ensure our website and systems are secure
- to allow you to review a product you have purchased
- to analyse, improve and update our services for the benefit of our customers
- to deal with complaints
- where you have made a purchase from us, to let you know about our products, services, promotions or events that we consider may be of interest to you. We carry out this processing on the legal basis that we have a legitimate interest in marketing our products and services, and only to the extent that we are permitted to do so by applicable direct marketing laws. You can opt out of receiving this information by unsubscribing from our emails or by contacting us.
Whenever we process your personal data for these purposes, we ensure that your interests, rights and freedoms are carefully considered.
Internal record keeping
Brass Monkeys Jewellery does not transfer or share your information except as provided below:
Brass Monkeys Jewellery may engage certain trusted third parties to perform function and provide services to us, including without limitation, hosting and management services, customer relationship services, database storage and management services, fulfilling orders, sending email, processing credit card payments or other functions necessary to our business; and Brass Monkeys Jewellery may share your personally identifiable information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these functions and provide such services, and only pursuant to binding contractual obligations requiring such third parties to maintain confidentiality of your data. These third parties comprise:
- marketing agencies to send out emails and host our website
- courier and postal companies to deliver orders
- payment providers
Brass Monkeys Jewellery may also reveal a user’s identity or relevant information if Brass Monkeys Jewellery know or believe that a User is harming or interfering with other our users, anyone else, or violating the Agreement or infringing any of the Brass Monkeys Jewellery’s legal rights.
Brass Monkeys Jewellery may also reveal user’s personal information when required to do so by law, or if we have a good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with a court order or subpoena, to cooperate with investigations by law enforcement or regulatory authorities or to participate or cooperate with a judicial proceeding, or in urgent circumstances, to protect personal safety, the public or our websites; to protect the property and rights of Brass Monkeys Jewellery or a third party, the safety of the public or any person; to prevent or stop any illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.
In the event of a merger, consolidation or reorganisation involving Brass Monkeys Jewellery acquisition of Brass Monkeys Jewellery by another company, or other similar transaction, your personal information will, in most instances, be transferred to the control of the third party that is part of that transaction.
How do we keep your personal data secure?
Brass Monkeys Jewellery has security measures in place designed to prevent data loss, to preserve data integrity, and to regulate access to the data. Only authorised Brass Monkeys employees and third parties processing data on our behalf have access to your personal data.
The security measures we have in place include:
- regular reviews of information collection, storage and processing practices to protect against unauthorised access
- restriction of access to personal information
- monitoring of systems storing and processing information
- use of secure technologies (e.g. SSL, encryption)
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
We take all reasonable steps to keep your data safe and secure and to ensure the data is accessed only by those who have a legitimate interest to do so. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to us. Any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your personal data, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
How long will we keep your personal data?
We carefully consider the personal data that we store, and we will not keep your information in a form that identifies you for longer than is necessary for the purposes set out in this notice or as required by applicable law. In some instances, we are required to hold data for minimum periods: for example, UK tax law currently specifies a six-year period for retention of some of your personal data.
A cookie is a small file that asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We may use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on our website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you want the information to be used by us for marketing purposes. If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by unsubscribing from the newsletter.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.